Harmful VOCs can infiltrate your home and grow rapidly.
According to the EPA, these airborne contaminants cause eye, nose, and throat irritation, frequent headaches, nausea, and can also damage the liver, kidney and central nervous system. Some organics can cause cancer in animals and even humans. For an in-depth look at these threats, the EPA has published an extensive study (https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/volatile-organic-compounds-impact-indoor-air-quality).
Symptoms of exposure to VOCs can also include fatigue, dizziness and allergic skin reactions.
Common causes of VOCs include candles, carpeting, certain molded plastics, chlorinated tap water, cigarettes, deodorizers, dishwasher detergents, emissions from barbecues, emissions from gasoline combustion, floor lacquers, furniture polish, glass cleaners, glue, laundry detergents, mothballs, paint, paint, soap, stoves, traffic emissions, wallpaper, and nail polish remover.